If you’ve never visited Awkward Family Photos before, go do it right now. You will get to a whole new level of Wasting Time On The Internet. You’ll thank me. Speaking of Awkward Family Photos.
My sister and I were digging through some family photos recently and came across this GEM. Sorry Mark, now you never will be able to run for President of The World…
A few thoughts:
1. What time of year was this picture taken that I’m wearing a dress with socks, Sarah is wearing shorts, John is wearing a sweater and Mom is wearing a turtleneck? Oh, it’s February. (I’m pretty sure it snows in Pennsylvania in February)
2. Turtlenecks. Oh turtlenecks. How I miss the 90’s.
3. Please note my ruffle socks. Fingers crossed that these come back into vogue Very Soon.
4. What have I done that has evoked the Look of Please Shut Up and Sit Still from Dad?
5. When showing this picture to my 3 year-old niece, she was very confused about who was who. After pointing at differnt brothers guessing “This is Uncle Mark. No, Uncle John. No, Uncle Luke”, she finally said confidently, “This is Uncle George!” (No Georges here).
6. My dress: Was plaid, flannel and denim ever a cool combination? Even in 1996?
And then there’s Varun.
Even at 5, he’s putting his hands in the air like he just don’t care.
He’s got the model pose, the missing-tooth-grin and a wicked paisley shirt (C’mon, it was the early 90’s in rural India).
I think these three pictures sum up our high school experiences.
Me: Hey, didn’t you hate those people in high school who were really pretty and had tons of fun on the weekend and loads of friends?
Varun: Umm no.
Me: WHAT? Why not?
Varun: Well, I WAS those people.
Me: (look of scorn)
But really folks, it’s not that hard to believe. While my classmates were wearing flares and Limited Too shirts and glittery lipgloss, I was rocking the denim-plaid-flannel dress and ruffle socks. And the 90’s still had FOUR more long years…