Macchi Tarkari. Bengali Fish Curry. This is a lovely recipe which is low-cost, easy to make and does not involve meat! It’s from a great cookbook called “Indian in Minutes” which someone dear, whom I don’t remember, must have given me.
8 fillets of cod or white fish
1 t. tumeric
1/2 c mustard or sunflower oil
5 ounces of potatoes, cubed
5 ounces cauliflower florets
4 tomatoes, quartered
1 T. ground coriander
1 T. ground cumin
salt, to taste
1. Smear the fish with salt and half the tumeric. Boil the potatoes.
2. Heat oil in a pan and fry the fish until golden. Keep warm on a plate.
3. Add tumeric to the oil and put in the potatoes. Fry for 1-2 minutes.
4. Add cauliflower and cook for 3-5 minutes. Add tomatoes, coriander and cumin powder.
5. Add 1/4 c. water
6. Return the fish to the pan, add salt to taste. Sprinkle with fresh cilantro.
Enjoy warm with rice or roti!