This is delicious! Healthy, vegetarian and pretty easy to make, this has quickly become a favorite in our house. Feel free to experiment and tweak it as needed.
1 T oil
1 large onion, minced
1 T fresh ginger, minced
1 T fresh garlic, minced
2 t coriander
1/2 t cumin, tumeric, pepper
1/2 t chili powder
1/4 t cinnamon
2-3 bay leaves
2 cans coconut milk
1/4 c. soy sauce
1 c. tomato sauce (plain)
2 c. dried red lentils
5 c. water
1 sweet potato, chopped into bite-sized chunks
1 cauliflower, cut into florets
1. Heat oil in a soup pan over medium heat. Fry onions until translucent.
2. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add ginger, garlic and spices, stirring constantly for 3 minutes.
3. Add 1 can coconut milk, tomato sauce and soy sauce. Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
4. In a separate pan, cook lentils and water for 10 minutes, or until soft. Add to the sauce.
5. Return heat to medium. Stir in sweet potato and cauliflower, cover with a lid and simmer until tender. Add water, salt and pepper as needed.
6. Meanwhile, cook the rice using the other can of coconut milk instead of water. This makes the rice tender, smooth and tasty! (Clarification: use the same amount of liquid as usual, just supplement with coconut milk).