As I’m sure you’ve noticed, I’m a BIG FAN of Christmas. With one week to go, it’s so easy to get caught up in final exams, last minute shopping, travelling plans…and forget to take time to rest and reflect. It’s been fun to get photo-updates from my sister; she planned one activity per day to help her kids prepare for Christmas. Here are some of my favorites so far:
1. Clean out closets and donate items: Christmas really is the celebration of the BEST GIFT EVER (Jesus) and giving is better than receiving. This is a great way to remind yourself (and kids if you have ’em) what’s really important.
2. Bake christmas cookies and deliver to fire station: This is just adorable.
3. Starbucks hot cocoa date: Who doesn’t want this?
4. Read favorite Christmas stories: I love “Holly and Ivy”, “The Autobiography of Santa Claus”, “Letters from Father Christmas”, “The Polar Express”…
5. Visit a living Nativity: A local farmer in the town I grew up in used to bring his animals to Church each Christmas Eve for the living Nativity. This is a meaningful way to pause and remember who we’re celebrating.
6. Christmas movies: At school a few weeks ago I was trying to list my favorite Christmas movie. I couldn’t do it. I love them too much to choose! Here are some of my faves: “White Christmas”, “It’s a Wonderful Life”, “All I Want for Christmas”, “Elf”, “Muppets Christmas Carol”, “Holiday Inn”, “Miracle on 34th Street”.
What about you? How are you pausing to spend time with family, enjoy the season and prepare your hearts to celebrate Jesus’ birth? What Christmas movies are you watching?!